Compete For $5,000 To Take Your Business To The Next Level!
Enter the Urban League of Rochester and Ibero American Action League KeyBank Business Boost & Build program’s Rochester Business Pitch Competition
We’ll be selecting five finalists who live or own a business in Rochester NY and/or Monroe County to pitch in front of a live audience on Thursday, December 5th, 2019 for a chance to win up to $5,000.
Whether you’re brand new to pitching or a seasoned veteran, we welcome you to participate! All finalists will have an opportunity to hone their skills and fine-tune their pitches by participating in our 2 Week Small Business Mentoring Boot Camp.
The best part? All finalists will walk away with at least $500.
To be eligible to pitch at the competition on December 5th, 2019, you must first pitch your idea to our advisors.
Receive an application to pitch your idea by completing this form.
The deadline to apply has passed.
We will announce the competition participants soon!
So, what are we looking for?
Our advisors will assess your four-minute pitch based on how well you address the following topics:
- The hook – An attention grabber for the audience (e.g. a joke, a statistic, a quick story, etc.) This should help the audience immediately focus on the problem you’re trying to solve.
- What your company does – Remember that your audience may not have knowledge of your particular industry or of the issue your product/service addresses. Avoid jargon, buzz words and hyperbole.
- How your solution is unique – What makes your product/service different from current market offerings?
- Target market – Who is your target customer? And why?
- Reaching the market – How are you reaching your customer? (e.g. direct sales, ecommerce, web, distributors, etc.)
- Revenue prospects – How are you making money? How do you charge? How much of a profit margin do you predict at scale?
- The team – Who is involved? Skill sets are more helpful than just names and bios.
- The use of funds – How would you use the investment dollars?
- Impact of funds – How will the investment dollars impact your business?
All pitch competition applicants must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Reside in or own a business in Monroe County
- Be an Urban League Business Development Center Member or Ibero American Action League KeyBank JumpStart Member
- Own a revenue-generating business that is more than 1 year old
- Annual revenue of $75k or less
- Participate in pre-pitch sessions to qualify for Small Business Mentoring Boot Camp
All businesses must be for-profit entities. No non-profit organizations will be considered.
Online application deadline: Friday, November 15th, 2019
GENERAL RULES: All pitch participants must live in or have their businesses located in Monroe County. Each pitch participant grants the KeyBank Business Boost & Build program and JumpStart, Inc. permission and authority to use, re-use and license the use of their voice, name, photograph or likeness in any promotional activity related to their being an applicant and that they are entitled to no compensation from the KeyBank Business Boost & Build program or JumpStart, Inc. for said usage. By entering this pitch contest, pitch participants accept and agree to be bound by the rules and decisions of the judges awarding the prizes, which are final, binding and conclusive on all matters relative to this contest. The KeyBank Business Boost & Build program and JumpStart, Inc. reserve the right to disqualify pitch participants who fail to follow these rules or who make any misrepresentations relative to their businesses. By voluntarily submitting to pitch, pitch participants agree to release and hold harmless the KeyBank Business Boost & Build program, JumpStart, Inc. and their affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, representatives, agents and employees, from any and all liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with, either directly or indirectly, participating in this contest. Taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of winners. Winners may not substitute or transfer prizes. Employees of JumpStart, Inc. or employees of the Urban League of Rochester or Ibero American Action League, their dependents and immediate families, are not eligible to participate or win. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.